SAFARI GROOMING COMPETITION DESCRIPTION AND RULES
Acceptable coat growth for all classes:
It is the responsibility of the designated judges to determine that each competitor has adequate coat growth on their dog during pre-judging.
Acceptable Styling for all classes:
- All styling must take place during the time frame of the competition except where noted below.
- All dogs must be groomed according to their breed standard with the exception of Doodles and Poodles as noted below.
- All dogs may have sanitary areas and pads shaved prior to class start.
- All dogs may have nails trimmed and ears cleaned prior to class start.
- Finishing sprays are permissible in order to tidy up after competition time frame ends however, re-shaping with water or product application is prohibited.
- Chalk products are permissible prior to and during the competition time frame but are prohibited after the completion of the class.
- Wire Coats must be hand stripped. Clippers are only permissible as presented in the standards for the conformation show ring, with the exception of the “Future of the Industry” class.
- Sporting coats must be carded and/or hand stripped. Clippers are only permissible as presented in the standards for the conformation show ring, with the exception of the “Future of the Industry” class.
- All Other Purebreds must be styled as presented in the standards for the conformation show ring.
- Doodles can be styled in any trim that presents the dog in the most appealing, stylish and well balanced trim for each individual animal.
- Poodles can be styled as presented in the standard for the conformation show ring in the USA as well FCI, the T-trim, the German trim, the Modern/Sporting trim, any other of the classic poodle pet trims, ie., Lamb, Dutch, etc. As well as any retro trims. POODLINGTON TRIM IS PERMISSIBLE.
Acceptable breeds: All sizes, and colors of purebred Poodles.
This class MAY be split into three separate classes as follows:
- Over 22”
- Over 16-22”
- 16”and under
- 11” and under – 1:30 (One hour and thirty minutes)
- Over 11” up to and including 16”-1:45 (One hour and forty-five minutes)
- Over 16” up to and including 22”-2:00 (Two hours)
- Over 22” and over-2:15 (Two hours and fifteen minutes)
- Conformation trims, (ie., Continental, English Saddle and 2nd Puppy Trim) requiring dogs to be sprayed up receive an additional 15 minutes.
When splitting the Poodle class the following stipulations apply:
- A competition must take place between the three finalists from each of the two Poodle classes to determine the placements for a final 1st, 2nd and 3rd for all Poodles. Only the Final place winners may be eligible for Group competition.
- Feet must be shaved.
- Face, feet and the base of the tail may be shaved prior to competition start time. NO extra time will be permitted if not completed prior to class start.
- Small mustache or goatee are permitted.
- Scissored face styles such as Bichon or scissored type faces are prohibited.
- Show topknots may be pre-banded, including wigs/switches (hair extensions) prior to the start of the class, spray up products are prohibited prior to the start of the class.
FUTURE OF THE INDUSTRY:
This is a class specifically for newer groomers. Groomers must have under four years experience in either a salon, competition venue or conformation. Competitive groomers who’ve won a group 1st, Best All Around, or BIS in any tiered competition are ineligible to compete in this class. Professional handlers, and judges/certifiers are also ineligible to compete in this class.
The structure of this class will be of one unified competition. All breeds/mixed-breeds competing simultaneously for 1st-3rd place. The class winner will continue on to compete for BIS.
This class will be open to ALL competitors regardless of experience or prior wins. All acceptable breeds and mixed-breeds are eligible to be used for the class.
ANY breed can be used for this class. ALL dogs have a 2.5 (two and a half) hour time limit. Breeds MUST be trimmed to meet their breed standards. (Poodles will follow the rules for the poodle class MINUS the extra time for spray ups. Doodles will follow the rules I outlined previously for Doodles being used in the competition.) There will be 3 (three) placements. 1st, 2nd, & 3rd. Only 1 division. EVERYONE competes together. People can enter the class both days with whatever breeds they choose
This is a class for Asian Fusion style grooming. Any of the acceptable breeds/mixed-breeds are eligible to be used for this competition. All groomers, regardless of skill/experience level are eligible to compete in this class.
- Breeds MAY NOT be groomed to their individual breed standard. HOWEVER groomers may groom a breed to another breeds standard, (ie. A poodle may be groomed to look like a bichon or vise-versa).
- Color is permitted, but not necessary.
- Color may be applied prior to the start of the competition OR during the competition.
- NO BLEACH may be used whatsoever.
- Poodle Class size-times apply.
This is a class where clippers are predominantly used to create, shape and sculpt the dogs. Any of the acceptable breeds/mixed-breeds are eligible to be used for this competition. All groomers, regardless of skill/experience level are eligible to compete in this class.
- ONLY clippers may be used for the duration of this class, EXCEPT for the last 15 minutes.
- ANY brand/style of clipper is permissible. Ie., corded/cordless.
- Scissors/razors/stripping knives may ONLY be used during the last 15 minutes of the class.
- Poodle Class size-times apply.
This is a creative inspired competition. Make the dogs look as whimsical, unique and over the top as you like! Any of the acceptable breeds/mixed-breeds are eligible to be used for this competition. All groomers, regardless of skill/experience level are eligible to compete in this class.
- Breeds MAY be groomed according to their breed standards as long as there are “extra” elements involved in the trim. (Ie. Color, carving, jewels/other accoutrements).
- Color is REQUIRED in some degree. At least 10% of the total dog must be done in a color NOT found on the dog naturally.
- Color may be added PRIOR to the start of the competition or DURING the competition. If color is added DURING the competition no extra time will be allotted.
- Jewels/other accoutrements MAY be used to enhance the groom.
- NO BLEACH may be used whatsoever.
- Under 16”- 2:00 (two hours)
- 16”-22”- 2:15 (two hours and fifteen minutes)
- 22” and over- 2:30 (two hours and thirty minutes)
Acceptable breeds for Future of the Industry, All In, Asian Inspired, Salon Fantasy and Clippers Only Classes:
Clumber Spaniel, American Cocker Spaniel, English Cocker Spaniel, English Setter,
English Springer Spaniel, Field Spaniel,
Gordon Setter, Irish Red and White Setter,
Irish Setter, Sussex Spaniel, Welsh Springer Spaniel, Golden Retrievers, German Wirehaired Pointer, Wirehaired Pointing Griffon.
- 3 Setter breeds-2:30 (two hours and thirty minutes)
- All other sporting breeds-2:00 (two hours)
Affenpinscher, Airedale, Australian Terrier, Border Terrier, Brussels Griffon, Cairn Terrier, Wire Dachshund, Dandie Dinmont Terrier, Giant Schnauzer, Irish Terrier, Lakeland Terrier, Miniature Schnauzer, Norfolk Terrier, Norwich Terrier, Scottish Terrier, Sealyham Terrier, Standard Schnauzer, Welsh Terrier,
West Highland White Terrier, Wire Fox Terrier.
- Affenpinscher, Australian Terrier,Border Terrier, Brussels Griffon, Wire Daschund, Norfolk Terrier, Norwich Terrier- 1:45 (One hour and forty-five minutes)
- Cairn Terrier, Dandie Dinmont Terrier, Irish Terrier, Lakeland Terrier, Miniature Schnauzer, Scottish Terrier, Sealyham Terrier, Standard Schnauzer, Welsh Terrier, West Highland White Terrier, Wire Fox Terrier- 2:00 (Two hours)
- Airedale, Giant Schnauzer- 2:15 (Two hours and fifteen minutes)
All other acceptable breeds:
Bedlington Terrier, Bichon Frise, Black Russian Terrier, Bouvier des Flandres,
Irish Water Spaniel, Kerry Blue Terrier, Portuguese Water Dog, Rough Collie, Shetland Sheepdog,
Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier.
- Bichon Frise- 1:45 (One hour and forty-five minutes)
- Bedlington Terrier, Irish Water Spaniel, Kerry Blue Terrier, Portuguese Water Dog, Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier- 2:00 (Two hours)
- Black Russian Terrier, Bouvier des Flandres- 2:15 (Two hours and fifteen minutes)
Any Doodle or mixed-breed with adequate coat and structure that will lend itself to a pleasing and stylish finished groom. Poodle size time-frames apply to mixed breeds.
All Purebreds Styling: Dogs must be groomed to their breed profiles as presented in the standard for the conformation show ring.
Two-Tier, Multi-Division Competition.
Open and Entry-Level Division compete separately within the Poodle Class for the titles of first, second and third in their respective division classes. Class winners will compete for Best All Around Groomer, and the first in each class will compete for Best in Show.
COMPETITION LEVEL DIVISIONS –
ONLY Entry-level division, may use clippers or scissors when the bodywork is typically hand stripped and/or carded for the show ring in the sporting class and the wire coat class.
Open: Open to all competitors. Recommended for groomers with advanced styling skills, previous successful competition experience and professional conformation show exhibitors with advanced styling skills and/or certifiers.
ENTRY-Level: Restricted to novice competitors who have not won a Best in Show or Best All Around groomer title from any division at any show, OR three first placements from the entry division at any show, OR one group placement from any tiered show. Recommended for groomers who have never competed and/or possess novice-grooming skills. Professional handlers, conformation show exhibitors, certifiers and grooming instructors are not permitted to compete in the Entry-Level Division.
Three placements are awarded in each division per class.
BEST IN SHOW–
Best in Show will be chosen from the First Place winners from each of the Classes : Future of the Industry, All In, Clippers Only, Asian Inspired and Poodles.
The 1st place Class winners should remain in the arena with their dog for evaluation by the Best in Show judging team and then return with their entry to the Best in Show Awards Presentation at designated time and place.
BEST ALL AROUND GROOMER-
Best All Around Groomer will be chosen by the Class placements from all five of the classes as follows:
Class 1st = 3 points
Class 2nd = 2 points
Class 3rd = 1 point
In the event of a tie, where as two or more groomers accumulate the same number of points, the winner will be determined as follows;
1st tie breaker = Best All Around Groomer will be awarded to the competitor with the highest number of placements. Should the competitors have the same number of placements the winner will be decided as follows;
2nd tie breaker = Best All Around Groomer will be awarded to the competitor with the highest number of entries defeated.
If the exact tie still exists, the prize will be divided equally between the competitors.
These points are only for Best All Around Groomer awards.
BEST ALL AROUND GROOMER ELIGIBILITY
In order to be eligible for the Best All Around Groomer award, the contestant must enter a minimum of three of the following classes: Future of the Industry, All In, Poodles, Asian Inspired and Clippers Only.